The increasing web and mobile applications, has created a disrupting demand for QA and Testing. However, this also calls for various challenges such as lack of expertise and right tools, maintenance and security issues, demand for optimization and increased output within limited cost and time. The need for rapid evolution in QA and Testing has been seen as a major challenge in IT Organizations as they strive to meet customer demands within in the reduced time-to-market.
The World Quality Report 2016-17 is based on the research findings of 1600 Computer Aided Telephone interviews with all senior executives in Corporate IT management functions across 32 countries. The survey was conducted using the 44 question long questionnaire devised and sponsored by QA and Testing experts in Capgemini, Sogeti and HPE in consultation with Coleman Parkes research.
The survey has analyzed the objectives, challenges and emerging trends in QA and Testing. Below is a short summary of the key findings and suggestions of the report.
The report has revealed equally high scoring and distinct results on the opinion of executive management regarding the objectives of QA and Testing.
The key objectives identified according to the report are
Higher quality of Software Solutions
Enhance customer experience
Cost optimization of IT
Higher responsiveness of business demands
Faster time to market
Implemented third party SAAS
Better alignment to business
Current Trends in QA and Testing
- Digital transformation has led to disrupting business models for better customer experience
- IoT and Security testing is continuously stretching the need for quality and security
- In Agile and DevOps mode of development, more intelligence-led testing will meet speed, quality and cost imperatives
- Increase in research in Industrialization and Testing Centers of Excellence are reflecting the shift to an intelligence-led test approach
- TEM and TDM are found as the key enablers for quality in Agile and DevOps
- QA and testing budgets are getting a grip on test spending
- Benefits of test automation reinforce desired outcomes in QA and Testing functions
- Automated test data generation tools are increasingly used in the recent days
- Organizations are investing more on cloud based solutions for their QA and testing needs
Sector-wise Trends in QA and Testing are as follows…
- 44% of the respondents in automotive sector say that they have outsourced most testing activities to an independent QA partner.
- More respondents in automotive sector (50%) are using penetrative testing for application security testing
- 47% of the respondents in automotive sector say that they use predictive analytics to determine and optimize test coverage in DevOps environment.
Consumer Products Retail and Distribution
- End-user satisfaction is reported as a key CPRD objective for QA and Testing with 48% of respondents saying it is very important.
- 44% of the CPRD companies in the World Quality Report survey’ 2016 say that they focus their mobile application testing efforts on the UI and Ease to use next to efficiency/performance at 46%
- Spending on QA and testing is expected to increase in the coming years due to escalating development of native cloud applications and increased focus on customer experience.
Energy and Utilities
- 43% of the respondents in the E&U sector are testing the UI and ease of use of mobile applications and 17% of their QA and testing budget are spent on mobile solutions.
- 43% of the respondents in the Energy and Utilities sector say that they don’t have a mobile testing expert. This shows the demand for mobile testing expertise and mobile testing solutions in this sector.
- Due to the demand for physical and perimeter security in the E&U sector, the organizations are increasingly adopting Cyber security systems, where 52% of the survey participants say that security of sensitive data on the device or over the air is an area of focus, more than any other aspect of mobile testing.
- The report findings show that 42% of financial services respondents say that lack of test data for complex integration testing across systems and organizations is a challenge.
- 56% of the respondents in the survey say that they pay special attention to security and risk than to performance and peak load requirements.
Healthcare and Life Sciences
- 41% of the organizations in the medical device sector that use agile say that they utilize TDD and BDD approaches.
- 50% of the respondents say that automation has helped in reducing costs and 47% responded that it results in better detection of defects.
- Also, 42% of the respondents surveyed say that in the coming year they foresee using robotics automation which is a step forward in intelligence-led QA and testing.
- An overall increase IT budget by 2019 to aid spending on QA and testing expenses is expected in High Tech companies.
- The test cycle times have reduced from three months-to-a-year to just one week with wider adoption of automation, new digital tools and sophisticated approaches.
Government and Public Sector
- 59% of respondents in government and public sector say that they use and internal testing team with its own tools, while 57% use managed application security services.
- Currently 19% of the QA and Testing budget in government and public sector is spent on Cloud services and 14% on IoT solutions.
- However 52% respondents have reported that they lack in-house testing environment and 51% have said that they lack internal mobile testing experts.
Telecom, Media and Entertainment
- With customer experience sitting at the heart of the business and IT strategy across the Telecom, Media and Entertainment industry, 68% respondents have cited enhancing security as their top priority followed by customer experience enhancement (46%) and cost optimization of IT (44%)
- The sector concentrates on both manual code review and static application security testing (53%), dynamic application testing (52%) and penetration testing-ethical hacking (40%)
- 42% of the companies use outsourced testing services from an independent QA partner and 40% outsource to software vendors. A mix of decentralized and central Testing Centre of excellence models exists in these companies to determine the optimum test strategy.
Digital transformation brings both challenges and opportunities to QA and testing. As Agile and DevOps are continuing to be adopted, QA is making significant move in a positive direction.
- The top 7 challenges identified in Application Development are as follows;
Lack of Effective build/ Integration Automation- 45%, Too much design complexity- 43%, Difficulty in integrating new applications with existing ecosystem- 42%, Lack of access to development and test environments- 42%, Reliance on manual testing- 41%, Manual environment management and development- 39% and Lack of effective release candidate quality information- 37%
- The challenges in Managing and Driving down the cost of Test environment management are as follows;
Maintaining multiple versions of test environments- 48%, Lack of facilities to book and manage own environments- 46%, Lack of visibility to test environment ability and demand- 46% and Lack of right tools for testing – 46%.
- The IoT functionality has emerged to be a part of 85% of business operations of which 68% do not have a test strategy specific to the aspect of their IT as they rely on the QA by the device manufacturers. This will be one of the greatest challenges with regard to IoT growing at a faster pace with the potential to increase the impact of failure.
- Digital transformation with intelligence-led QA and testing is expected to be the next important growth options.>
- The challenges in Test automation according to the report are as follows;
- Lack of right automation tools-45%
- Challenges in test data and environment availability-40%
- Delivery methodology doesn’t suit test automation- 35%
- Difficulties in integrating different automation tools-37%
- Frequent changes in application functionality-36%
- Lack of right automation testing process/method- 35%
- Lack of test script stability- 34%
- Lack of skilled and experienced resources-34%
- Multiple development cycles- 32%
- Invest in AI led self-learning QA and Testing platforms for all areas of the application landscape
- Adopt a QA approach for DevOps, agile and traditional- powered by enablement teams that help to truly shift left quality
- Invest in as-a-service solutions for test environment management, test data management and test execution.
- The critical steps to be taken to tackle the challenges of TEM and TDM suggested by the report are as follows;
- Assign the responsibility of optimizing core IT test environments to a TEM team
- Invest in virtualized and cloud-based environments for digital business IT
- Invest in intelligent test data generation and TDM solutions
- Establish service-based solutions for test environment provision and test data provisioning for projects
- Develop IoT specific test strategies
- Manage quality with simple balanced scorecards per LoB and per application or process
- Automation is the key to success of a DevOps program
Thus, the survey report shows that businesses are focusing on three important aspects of QA and Testing. The first is increased adoption of Agile and DevOps practices followed by optimizing Cloud-based Automation services to improve the productivity. There is also increased focus on developing intelligence-led automation tools.
Adopt the changing trends and innovate new working action oriented models to realize the benefits of IT in this Agile and DevOps age!